Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

At last! The idea for this blog, a blog about the Brontes (and I learn now that my settings will not allow umlauts- ;) had been in my thoughts for a few weeks. What will I write about? I have no idea, but my personal blog is so full of posts about the Brontes that this really seems like a small step to take. I will find something to talk about, I'm sure!

Today, for example, is a special day. Thisbeciel- a good friend of mine, and fellow Bronte enthusiast, has just recieved her 1 000th hit at her website. This website is dedicated to the 1973 BBC adaptation of Charlotte's Jane Eyre. http://www.geocities.com/thisbeciel/janeeyre.html

I only came across this version last year, after a visit to http://www.imdb.com . After doing a search for Jane Eyre I discovered that there was a message board on that website devoted to this mini-series. It was there that I met someone who was kind enough to send me a copy of a recording she had made when it aired 20 some odd years ago. I took in all of the praise that was heaped on it by those at the board, and was excited but skeptical about what would arrive shortly. I had already seen all of the films of Jane Eyre as well as a production of the Gordon/Caird musical.

My first reaction was shock. Pleasure followed, and what I can only describe as bliss. When I say that my reaction was shock, I am not exaggerating because at one point I noticed that my mouth was open in shock at what I was seeing. I cannot say enough about the performances of Sorcha Cusack and Michael Jayston, and so I will leave that for another time. But I will say, I am still astonished that the BBC have not released it. I cannot understand it. Not only is the acting of the leads as well as the supporting cast is superb, the screenplay is also excellent. It has a power over those who see it- as is attested by fans of the series who have last seen it 30 years ago but still remember being so moved that they long to see it again.

One last note- I think that there has not been any recognition of this series by those journals compiling adaptations of the Brontes' works. I recently bought a copy of the 3rd Norton Critical Edition of Jane Eyre (edited by Richard J. Dunn) which has an excellent article on adaptations- "The Pleasure of Intertextuality: Reading Jane Eyre Television and Film Adaptations" by Donna Marie Nudd. It states, however, that there has only been one version produced which includes the Gypsy scene. Not so. The scene appears in the 1983 BBC adaptation (with Zelah Clarke and Timothy Dalton in the leads) but it is also in the 1973 adaptation. Here's evidence enough, I think:


Michael Jayston as Mr. Rochester

There, I knew I would find something to say! :D Congradulations, Thisbeciel! ...And BBC? ...Release the 1973 Jane Eyre! (Don't make me gather my friends and start picketting- we already have our catchy war cry).

11 comments:

Glaukôpis said...

Excellent! :-D

Brontëana said...

Why thank you. ;-) Hmm... I must change this 'no annonymous comments' setting...

The HoneyNerds said...

Yay!!! JE '73 is an excellent first post topic! And I love the layout, so antique-ish. Gah, I'm just so happy! Another source of Bronte love!

Brontëana said...

This special anniversary finally spurred me into creating this blog! I'll add a link to your page, too, as soon as I figure out how. ;) I'm still finding my way around. o_O

And I hope to post lots of Jayston!Rochester very soon. :)

The HoneyNerds said...

Oh, no "reply to comment" button? I'm still in LJ mode, so I can understand your confusion. :)

More Jayston!Rochester! *wipes drool*

Brontëana said...

Er, yes. It's far more clumbsy. I haven't even figured out how to edit my posts yet. Oh, this is going to be fun ;)

haha- I suppose I could find a way to work him into every post now. Everything is going according to plan! *glee*

Anonymous said...

Oh, good! An entire blog devoted to it. ^^

Next week I'll get to watch the '83 version, since my mum ordered it for me as a way to compensate for getting teeth pulled next Wednesday. I've heard it's almost as good as the '73, so I'm excited. =)

Fondued Jicama

rinabeana said...

Oh, fun! I know I don't comment on your LJ all that much, but I've been trying to read all your posts. You just have so much to say (that's a good thing), and I don't have internet at home for the summer. I've bookmarked this, though, and I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

Brontëana said...

to F.J.

I think you'll enjoy it. I know I did, even though I usually get my hopes up to high when so many people gush about a film. You do have to pretend a little that Mr. Dalton is 'unpretty' as someone once put it (I laugh everytime I see him say his line 'You are no more pretty than I am handsome'. My mom, listening to him ask Jane if she thought he was handsome, said: "Did she say yes?" "No, mom." "Why not?!" ;). You must tell me what you think of it!

Brontëana said...

to Carina,

I don't mind in the least! And I enjoy reading your poetry posts.

Benn said...

Bronteana, you have excellent taste! This adaption is my absolute favorite. I watched it, ran over to my mum's house and said "MUM! You have GOT to see this!" Haha, I just plopped her down in front of the tv and away we went, sitting there with our jaws on the floor.
Suffice it to say, Michael Jayston and Sorcha Cusak are my ultimate Jane and Edward. :)