Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Monday, October 17, 2005

Hey, where are my spoons? DUN DUN DUNN! *

I have been driven mad today, so I'm a little sillier than usual. I must have a book ready to publish by wednesday and everyone is dragging their feet, files aren't working, and- oh yes- can you illustrate the bio tonight? *sigh*

Thisbeciel sent me this, which appalled but amused me. I think I've heard the music for this. I may have. I've heard that there are something like 30 musicals of Jane Eyre alone, but I only know the magnificent one... and the "feel-good 1960s one" (with peppy Mr Brocklehurst enthusing about the lack of lunch at Lowood!). There will be no lunch! *sparkle jump!* bad, bad, bad mental pictures... Also, I think Rochester's proposal song is called "I have Something Stupid to Tell You." Anyway, here's my response to Thisbeciel's report.

Now, it seems that a lot of adaptations cannot help turning Mr Rochester into a minx. This is just terrible, I hope you will agree:

Rochester: You say "farewell". I find I need more than that. I need... (He gives her a gentle kiss)I needed that. Now go.

Jane: (totally confused) I don't know what to say.

Rochester: And that is exactly when you should find the strength to say nothing.

Jane: Goodbye, I will think. (She pulls away but he grabs her hand and gently kisses it. With great fortitude, she reaches up and kisses him again.)

But then Mr Mason starts talking spy-speak:

"And it would seem that Mr. Mason has more of a backbone in this version- cue in this response when the servant tells Mason Rochester is too busy to see visitors- "tell Mr. Rochester that the weather is lovely in Jamaica"

"LOL! Sounds like code speak to me. I wonder what Mr. R could respond...

Rochester: Tell him that the mangoes still seem to be sickly though.
Mason: Tell Rochester that the mangoes are sickly because they are kept hidden away under a tarp."

But this is my favourite:

"I forgot to mention another part when the guests are there and they ask him to sing, Mr. R. says:"I have no intention of favoring you all with baritone majesty."

*This joke will only make sense if you've listened to Mystery Theatre Jane Eyre, and read the comments to this post.

5 comments:

mysticgypsy said...

Hi Bronteana!!
I am also an undergraduate student in the US majoring in English. My aim is to one day become a Bronte scholar too. My favorite author is Charlotte Bronte and my favorite works are Jane Eyre and Villete (I can't quite decide which tops in my opinion :P).
But I am so so glad I found your blog and I'll definitly keep checking it often. I have a blog too, where I've written some "mini" articles on Jane Eyre, Villete, and the Brontes. My blog's url is http://whispersonthemoore.blogdrive.com
I love the articles and essays you've posted on your blog. I was getting so lonely with hardly any Bronte Gold on the internet, and it was such a treat finding your blog. I can definitly get my daily dose of Bronter here :D
Unfortunately I have NOT seem the Materpiece Theater version of JE. I'd love to discuss the Franco Zafirelli though..
Take care and keep up the wondeful work!!! Good luck with studies and Uni!!!

Brontëana said...

Hi there. I would love to dicuss it with you as well! But the fact is that I am exhausted. I'll have to comment again later, when I can actually think straight ;) (long day at school, lots of group work. *shudder*).

The HoneyNerds said...

*staggers* peppy? Brocklehurst? Ew Ew Ew *shudders* Ew EW

LOL, at Thisbeciel's report. *cue lots of background noise* Um yeah Bronteana, it looks pretty good over here. There was a moment when St. John came in and I thought I was a goner, but Mr. Rochester is back so everything is under control. Back to you Bronteana. :D

Brontëana said...

Oh, I could send you the song if you like! *cackle* The tune is somewhat shades of Charlie Brown:

What is this? What is this addition?
This doesn't exist in the reg-u-la-tions.
There must be no lunch! There must be no lunch!
There must be no luch to-da-y!
There must be no lunch to-da-yyyy!!

The HoneyNerds said...

Ooh, I would love to hear the song! It sounds too funny not to. :D