Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Villette (BBC 1970)

Come on, BBC! I cannot tell if a recording of this is still in existence but surely there must be a chance of it. And if it does exist, why on earth is it not released when thousands of readers adore this book, when we have about 8 or 9 films of Jane Eyre, half a dozen Wuthering Heightses, and about two million works by Jane Austen? This is all I could find out, and all of it from www.imdb.com

director Moira Armstrong

writer Lennox Phillips

Judy Parfitt... Lucy Snowe
Peter Jeffrey.... Paul Emmanuel
Mona Bruce.... Madame Beck
Bryan Marshall.... Dr. John Graham Bretton
Angela Richards.... Ginevra Fanshawe
Mary Healey.... Rosine
Joan Heath.... Mrs. Bretton

ETA: Well, nothing more turned up about the production but I did forget to include a few items. Firstly it was a 5 part mini-series, each episode was 45 minutes in duration. The producer was Martin Lisemore.

Also, a few photos of the cast did turn up. Here are the actors who played our Lucy Snowe and Paul Emmanuel:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have tried very hard to find this adaptation too. I was ecstatic to learn that Villette ( my absolute favourite novel ) had been televised.


I thought the recent showing of the excellent Bleak House ( a lesser known Dickens novel to many ) may lead to the adaptations of some lesser known Bronte novels, such as Villette.


It is too bad that miniseries is lost somewhere deep in space.

I am happy I stumbled upon your blog... as I have rarely heard anyone talk of Villette and the Brontes in such an intelligent manner....