Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Another Jane Eyre Error?

I really hope this is only a typo on the website currently taking US orders for Jane Eyre 1973. I've noticed that there is a 28 minute discrepency between the running time of the DVDs listed on their site and on the BBC's page. The BBC, Region 2 DVD clocks in at 4 hours, 35 minutes. The American one comes in at 4 hours, 12 minutes (247 mins) according to their website. Now, it would not be unlikely that instead of typing 275 minutes they typed 247 but this is going to be worrisome until the release, I think, since the first episode was missing from American broadcasts. We are all going to wonder if somehow it has been cut once more (unlikely- I do not see why this should be...). If anyone else can think of an explaination, do. I'm quite confused. I suppose this also amounts to 5 minutes off of each episode...

I will try to get some confirmation, if I can.

4 comments:

Aidan said...

NTSC runs at a faster rate than PAL (Region 2) which would account for the time differences. Don't panic. :)

Aidan said...

Actually I think I got that the wrong way around - but more importantly they've messed up their running time calculations anyway (The American version is actually 4 hours 7 minutes by the figures they give there). I wouldn't worry. :)

Brontëana said...

That is really strange! It is good to have a Cornish correspondent to tell me such things! I did email them anyhow, so they are probably scrambling to figure out where they went wrong. ;)

Anonymous said...

I doubt it is due to a PAL/NTSC conversion. The numbers don't work out.

PAL runs at 50 frames a second and NTSC runs at sixty (or if you prefer 25 versus 30). If someone was to make a frame-to-frame conversion, then the the PAL 275 minute would convert to an NTSC 230 minute show.

Let's hope that it is because there are nearly thirty minutes of extras that the American version isn't counting towards the run=time, and the UK version is.