Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Inquiring minds...

So many people have been asking me about when the new BBC Jane Eyre 2006 with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens will be shown in the US that I thought I would take the opportunity to repost some very old information. This post comes from way back, when so far we had only heard of "the new Jane Eyre", "a new BBC Jane Eyre." This post was the third confirmation of its existence, and happens to affirm that it will air on Masterpiece Theater. At the end of a press release about the recent production of Bleak House was this:

Upcoming "Masterpiece" productions include the final "Prime Suspect," starring Helen Mirren, and adaptations of "Casanova," "Jane Eyre" and "Sense & Sensibility."

At the time I was unsure of whether this was a separate production, although I was sure there was a production at least. As soon as I hear anything about when it will air, I will be sure to post it!

As for the Angelina Jolie as Cathy, and Johnny Depp as Heathcliff rumor, I would like to officially pronounce it dead. It has been sleeping the eternal sleep for a good long while but I just haven't said so.

ETA: I really need to improve my archive system... There is indeed some hint as to when it will air in the US. Apparently it will air sometime in 2007. It is likely to air in the UK in autumn of 2006, although first reports claimed it was coming out 'at Christmas'. Possibly it will appear shortly afterwards on this side of the Atlantic!

ETA: For those requiring the source for the 2007 date, Masterpiece Theater announced months ago (at the same time as the original posting) that Jane Eyre would be shown in 2007.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's still early days to guess that, when they are still shooting and there's not even a definitive date (or even month) for the UK release.

I wonder how I will manage to see it though but as they say: where there's a will, there's a way :)

Brontëana said...

The 2007 date comes from a statement from Masterpiece Theater, otherwise we have two sources saying it's coming out in autumn, whereas the December/Christmas date came from one source on a Georie henley blog. The latest is that the filming it set to wrap up in July as well.In any case, it will be airing in the US (I've had at least 5 or 6 people getting frantic that they won't get to see it over here ;).

Hmn, yes. That's a problem too. Have any friends with satellite TV? ;) As for me, I WILL have to wait for the DVD.I must simply be patient and endure.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am sure it will be aired in the US sooner or later, and surely in 2007. But I think it's too early to conjecture - I mean, they're still filming and people are over-anxious already :P And I thought I was impatient :P

I do have satellite TV but I only get the BBC World from the BBC. So perhaps I'll have to join you in your wait for the DVD.

Brontëana said...

I'd imagine it would air on BBC America sooner than MT, but it is difficult to say. Impatient? Oh yes, but we've been waiting for a few months now- so far so good. ;)

If you really cannot wait, once it does air, I believe a friend of mine is going to download the episodes when they air. How's your internet connection? Mine is so horrid it wouldn't do (then again, I should be in grad school by that time... hmmm).

Actually, I would rather not know anything until I get the DVD in my hands, but this isn't possible is it?

Anonymous said...

I'm on dial-up, so 'nuff said, but thanks for the offer. I was actually considering asking my friend with a proper connection to download it for me, but I don't know. For better or worse, I have plenty of time to think about it.

Do you seriously prefer not knowing anything? Ooh... I would only consider it if there were spoilers, but if there are spoilers here and surprising bits then I'm not sure I want to see this :P

Brontëana said...

Hmn... I think I do prefer it. I'm not sure, to be honest, because like you I'm esctatic to hear the slightest news but then surprises are often nice things :)

Getting to see the 1973 version without much in the way of info about it was awesome. I mean, I had already seen 7 versions by then, I think, but I actually made little sqeaks of delight when I finally did see it. ;) And the surprises of the 1952 one were great too. Each one is so different, that is is almost a shame when you are tipped off that something was done really well or that they messed up something.

Either way, I'll be pleased. If it isn't entirely wonderful *ahem* there's always plently of snarking to be had. ;) I have a fan fiction story that is ongoing and includes every 'Rochester' and 'Jane' I have come across. At the moment there are more than a dozen. I await the day when Wilson!Jane and Stephens!Rochester can join in the fun :)

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm just wondering how long this version is going to be, because my favorite version of Jane Eyre is the 5 and half hour long version with Zelah Clarke. I am looking for a version as faithful and as close to the complete novel as possible. I'd like to see a version that shows Jane getting her new friend after Helen burns, and about Rochester and his other three mistresses. and I want that piano scene when they are in love and he takes over playing the piano for her. and what about the young lady that Rivers is in love with? I want small details, like when they ate that cake, and when Jane fetched cold chicken from the larder for Adele. I want it all!