Home Resources Livejournal Feed Wordpress

Sunday, September 08, 2024

Jane Eyre 2011- First Impressions

 Dear readers,

I am... still catching up on all of the Bronte news that I've missed since my days as editor of this blog. Among these is the most recent film adaptation of Jane Eyre from 2011. I had some trouble getting a copy, but it's finally here! I want to do a more thorough 'review' post later. For now, my first impressions.

I was very impressed with the script especially. It really breathed new life into the story. On the cover of the DVD there is the endorsement that it is "as fiercely intelligent as it is passionate" and I completely agree.

I'll have more to say about the leads, but I really love what they did with St.John Rivers. Yes, that's a surprise, isn't it? They suppressed some of his more obviously repulsive lines, making his reaction to Jane's refusal hit really well:


 In short, yes, I think I have a new favourite film adaptation of the novel!

-Bronteana



No comments: